What do you do with a bad meal?
So – I had a bad meal tonight. I was out with my husband, my parents, my sister and her husband at our local golf club where my Dad is a member. Now, normally the food is delicious. But tonight they were busy (they’d had a Winter League Dinner for all the golf club members) and so when we got there the food was a bit like it was thrown together. My fish and chips and mushy peas had under-fried chips and mushy fish with dry peas which is surely the wrong way round. However, the whole meal was bad because:
- We walked in late to a party that was already in place with loud music and drunken people and it felt like we were gatecrashing (especially as we couldn’t even get in because no-one was answering the intercom)
- My Dad had been there all day and was so drunk he could no longer speak correctly which really annoys me
- My Mum had been there long enough to forget that she “doesn’t smoke” (read: drunk as well) and was outside smoking which always pisses me off
- My Sister and her husband were being their usual flirtatious selves and charming the pants off all of Dad’s friends which makes me feel so unattractive
- Everyone in the golf club calls me “Vicki” which REALLY irritates the hell out of me as I haven’t been called that in over 12 years now so it always makes me feel like a child again
Yep – the whole night was like a throwback to 1989 when my natural seriousness and vegetarianism (it was a big thing in those days!) meant I had to sit at home while Mum and my Sis met my Dad after golf. But now that I’m older it seems I haven’t gotten any wiser because I still went tonight. However, I left early because my Sister tried to walk out as I was apparently upsetting her so I left first to give her nothing to upset her anymore. And, of course, my husband came with me. And, of course, when we get in the car he tells me that his dinner was bad as well…
I think I’ll eat in for a while. At least until I can feel like the mature and sensible adult I am rather than a pre-teen with issues!